[Evangelism] Re: "Top 15 Questions..." Final Draft

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Thu Apr 16 00:25:41 UTC 2009

On 16/04/2009, at 4:58 AM, JoAnna Springsteen wrote:

> provide a more open forum for your thoughts.  This list is highly
> specific- it exists to promote Plone. Based on your comments, it
> sounds like you'd be better off posing these questions in #plone.
> Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to shoo you off of this list...I
> just think your needs could be better met elsewhere.

Perhaps we need a plone complaints box :)

>> Having worked in a computer support for 12 years prior to being a
>> system admin, I often found it useful - make that *essential* - to
>> stand back and WATCH as someone else attempts to install/use a
>> system.
>>
>> The fact is, I don't know what I don't know.   All I do know is
>> that I sat in front of the screen after installing Plone and
>> wondered "what now?".   I'm just a

Further to what chris said, I sat down to write a tutorial last year
called "how to host a plone site in 20min for $20". As I started
writing out the steps of what was required to go from a locally
installed and configured plone site to a remotely hosted one I
realised it just had too many steps and too many things to learn.
So instead I wrote collective.hostout with the goal being that if you
can at least add a recipe to our local buildout file then it will do
everything else for you to deploy and host your site. It will be
released soon in alpha.

So we are trying to improve the story but I don't think it's fair to
say we're there yet. also it's an excellent point to sit and watch or
at try to document exactly what you have to know to do things we in
the community take for granted.