[Evangelism] Re: "Top 15 Questions..." Final Draft

Calvin Hendryx-Parker calvin at sixfeetup.com
Wed Apr 15 14:56:12 UTC 2009

On Apr 15, 2009, at 10:45 AM, Chris Barnes wrote:

> Alexander Limi wrote:
>> The thing is, Plone *is* easy to install, and you get a very
>> sophisticated  setup even when using the base installers. It's just
>> a bit challenging to  develop for at the moment, something that
>> we're working hard on fixing.
>> SAP is hard to install *and* hard to develop for. Or maybe just
>> expensive,  depending on how you look at it. ;)
>
> I hate to sound like Bill Clinton, but it depends on what you mean
> by "install".
>
> As I said in my previous note, yes, the program itself installs with
> relative ease.  But few people would consider that to be the end of
> the installation.   The "real installation" isn't finished until
> there is a working product up and running.

What constitutes up and running for you?  The default install will
leave you with a site you can place up live behind a proxy.

> In my case, I have a small non-profit group where I run a ubuntu
> server to host their domain (mailman, apache website, vBulletin,
> etc).  The people in the group are the ones that need to be able to
> maintain the content of the website, but they are not web
> literate.   Otoh, just because I can do system admin, and can do
> *some* webpage stuff, it doesn't mean I'm versed in python (or
> really any other programming language).
>
> I do this pro-bono in my spare time.  Which means I really don't
> have the inclination to learn an entire language.

Why does deploying a Plone site mean you need to learn Python?  There
are many people out there creating great looking sites and they don't
know a lick of Python to to it.  They are using a combination of third
party add-ons (which are easy to install with buildout) and a theme
product that you can generate from ZopeSkel.

What part of our install story is lacking in your mind so we an
address it.  I think it would be helpful feedback to get from you.

Cheers,
Cal

--
S i x  F e e t  U p ,  I n c .  |  http://www.sixfeetup.com
Phone: +1 (317) 861-5948 x602
calvin at sixfeetup.com
ANNOUNCING the first Plone Immersive Training Experience | Sept.
10-11-12, 2009
http://sixfeetup.com/immerse