[Evangelism] Re: "Top 15 Questions..." Final Draft

Chris Barnes chris at txbarnes.com
Wed Apr 15 14:45:35 UTC 2009

Alexander Limi wrote:
> The thing is, Plone *is* easy to install, and you get a very sophisticated
> setup even when using the base installers. It's just a bit challenging to
> develop for at the moment, something that we're working hard on fixing.
>
> SAP is hard to install *and* hard to develop for. Or maybe just expensive,
> depending on how you look at it. ;)

I hate to sound like Bill Clinton, but it depends on what you mean by
"install".

As I said in my previous note, yes, the program itself installs with
relative ease.  But few people would consider that to be the end of the
installation.   The "real installation" isn't finished until there is a
working product up and running.

In my case, I have a small non-profit group where I run a ubuntu server
to host their domain (mailman, apache website, vBulletin, etc).  The
people in the group are the ones that need to be able to maintain the
content of the website, but they are not web literate.   Otoh, just
because I can do system admin, and can do *some* webpage stuff, it
doesn't mean I'm versed in python (or really any other programming
language).

I do this pro-bono in my spare time.  Which means I really don't have
the inclination to learn an entire language.

So.... I still need a CMS system for this group.  I am convinced that it
is "the right choice".  But from the looks of what I have experienced,
it doesn't seem that Plone is the right choice for me.  What I don't
know is if *any* CMS system will do what I'm looking for...

--

Chris Barnes                              AOL IM: CNBarnes
chris at txbarnes.com (also MSN IM)        Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes