[Evangelism] Plone code swarm - 275 code contributors - more than Drupal and Joomla combined

Graham Perrin G.J.Perrin at bton.ac.uk
Wed Oct 29 09:48:24 UTC 2008

Jon Stahl wrote:
> I think it's good to emphasize how open and collaborative the community
> is, but wise to avoid direct comparisons with competitors, because it is a
> bit of "apples and oranges" due to different community management
> structures.

+1 to Jon's comments (I drafted this message last night …)

<http://www.ohloh.net/projects/drupal/factoids/865231> suggests:

> Over the past twelve months, only 3 developers contributed new code

and

<http://www.ohloh.net/projects/drupal/contributors> counts 22.

At <http://www.ohloh.net/projects/drupal/reviews> a reviewer comments:

> stats are wrong, because many developers contribute to Drupal, but only a
> few developers have necessary rights to commit code into Drupal core
> repositories. This ensures a very high quality in Drupal's core code base.

The 10 ≠ 22 discrepancy remains unexplained.

----

For Plone at <http://www.ohloh.net/projects/plone/reviews> we might add a
comparable review, with reference to
<http://plone.org/documentation/manual/plone-developer-reference/overview/release-process>
and/or simply highlight:

 * Release Manager
  — one elected individual

 * Framework team
  — currently five individuals
  — <http://plone.org/about/team/FrameworkTeam>.

----

Drupal gains a community rating of 4.3/5.0
based on 111 user ratings. 111/280 = ratings from ~39% of Drupal users at
Ohloh.

Plone gains a community rating of 4.3/5.0
based on 61 user ratings. 61/107 = ratings from ~57% of Plone users at
Ohloh.

----

<http://www.ohloh.net/projects/plone/factoids/740563> notes:

> Over the last twelve months, Plone has seen a substantial decline in
> development activity … Ohloh makes this determination by comparing total
> number of commits made by all developers during the most recent twelve
> months with the same figure for the twelve months before that. The number
> of developers and total lines of code are not considered.

The April/May 2006 burst is remarkable in the videos mentioned at
<http://n2.nabble.com/Plone-Code-Swarm-tp1374267p1374267.html> but that's
more than 24 months ago so the perceived decline is probably attributable to
other factors.

Regards
Graham