[Evangelism] Re: Plone marketing- WPD2008 Slide Deck

Matt Hamilton matth at netsight.co.uk
Tue Oct 21 08:34:33 UTC 2008

On 21 Oct 2008, at 05:25, Nate Aune wrote:

> I know one large non-profit that chose a commercial intranet solution
> over Plone because the commercial vendor included everything in the
> pricing, and the product appeared to do more "out-of-the-box" whereas
> Plone appeared to require a lot of customization to get it to do what
> the commercial product was offering. We need better marketing
> materials to show what Plone is capable of providing out-of-the-box,
> and how it can be easily extended with 3rd party add-on components.
> Otherwise, we're going to continue to get reamed by these vendors
> hawking proprietary CMSes.

We've had exactly the same thing when pitching before.  Its a
perception thing.  But also if you are flogging a, say, $50K licensing
fee you can easily 'bury' a bit of customisation in there which makes
it 'seem' more out of the box.

-Matt

PS. What was the outcome of the plone marketing mailing list?  I know
it exists, but not had an messages in many months, is it deprecated?

Matt Hamilton                                       matth at netsight.co.uk