[Evangelism] Re: Plone marketing- WPD2008 Slide Deck

Matt Hamilton matth at netsight.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 06:44:12 UTC 2008

On 20 Oct 2008, at 01:03, Alexander Limi wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 8:02 AM, Nate Aune <natea at jazkarta.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:05 PM, Gerry Kirk <gerry.kirk at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Indeed, thanks for taking the lead on this Constance. My favourite
> slide is the $50k one too. :)
>
> Yes, this is visually a very powerful way to show the differences
> between commercially licensed CMSes and customizable open source
> CMSes. I think it's important however to clarify what we mean by
> customization, as Matt Hamilton mentioned at the "So you want to be
> a Plone consultant" panel discussion that when customers see how
> much money goes towards customization, they assume that the CMS must
> not have very much out-of-the-box functionality, and therefore needs
> a lot of customization.
>
> Maybe "integration" is better than "customization"?

I think integration is a bit more of a loaded word.  I can imagine
many potential customers saying 'but I don't need any integration!'.
I really like the graph, but yes I think we need a way to better show
proportions and what you are getting.  I think most of us here would
agree that with OSS the total cost would be lower, so I'm wondering if
we might want to not have 50K for both.  The problem then is what *do*
we say for both... as we are just showing example indicative costs of
some theoretical project....

-Matt

Matt Hamilton                                       matth at netsight.co.uk