[Evangelism] demo.plone.org

Nate Aune natea at jazkarta.com
Mon Oct 13 23:53:28 UTC 2008

I'd like to explore the idea of creating a demo.plone.org site that
hosts the current released version of Plone, and would serve as a
place folks could go to try out Plone *before* downloading it. While
the installers make it very easy to try out Plone, some folks are
hesitant to install new software on their computer, and some IT depts
forbid it.

The demo.plone.org site would have logins for a standard unprivileged
user, a reviewer and an admin user. It would get cleared out every
night with a fresh Data.fs. This could be done with a simple script
that's executed on a scheduled basis using cron. We could use
something like Amberjack [1] or Flowgram [2] to create an interactive
guided tour to "hold the hand" of new users through the process of
creating new content, reviewing content, administering a Plone site,
etc.

what do folks think about this idea? I think it would be nice to have
this available to coincide with the launch of the newly redesigned
plone.org website.

Nate

[1] http://amberjack.org/
[2] http://www.flowgram.com/