[Evangelism] Plone code swarm - 275 code contributors - more than Drupal and Joomla combined

Jon Stahl jon at onenw.org
Wed Oct 29 06:12:44 UTC 2008

It's because lots of people contribute patches and whatnot, but very few
people have commit privs to make the actual checkins to their repository.
It's a different community model than Plone's very open, trusting approach.
I am pretty sure the same is true of Joomla as well.

I think it's good to emphasize how open and collaborative the community is,
but wise to avoid direct comparisons with competitors, because it is a bit
of "apples and oranges" due to different community management structures.

:jon

Gerry Kirk-3 wrote:

> Only 22 Drupal contributors? Does that pass the sanity check? Why such a
> discrepancy? Seems a little fishy, though I know nothing about the Drupal
> community.
>
> 2008/10/28 Nate Aune <natea at jazkarta.com>
>
>> This code swarm is a really cool visualization of the history of the
>> Plone
>> project from the perspective of contributors checking in code to the
>> Plone
>> code repository during the last 8 years. Thanks to Chris Calloway for
>> putting it together and Alex Limi for Tweeting about it.
>> http://twitter.com/limi/status/977015794
>>
>> Watch the code swarm here: http://www.vimeo.com/2075738
>>
>> This might make a cool demo to show WPD attendees how Plone is a mature
>> product, has stood the test of time and has more contributors than Drupal
>> and Joomla combined:
>>
>> 275 contributors to Plone -
>> http://www.ohloh.net/projects/plone/contributors
>> 48 contributors to Joomla -
>> http://www.ohloh.net/projects/joomla/contributors
>> 22 contributors to Drupal -
>> http://www.ohloh.net/projects/drupal/contributors
>> 33 contributors to Typo3 -
>> http://www.ohloh.net/projects/typo3/contributors
>> 17 contributors to Wordpress -
>> http://www.ohloh.net/projects/wordpress/contributors
>> 7 contributors to Xoops -
>> http://www.ohloh.net/projects/xoops/contributors
>>
>> Someone want to make up a chart of those #'s and include it with the
>> World
>> Plone Day slide deck?
>>
>> Btw, searching for "CMS" on ohloh.net brings up 513 hits, so it's no
>> wonder people are confused when they have to choose an open source CMS.
>> There are so many choices!
>> http://www.ohloh.net/projects/search?q=cms
>>
>> Nate

-----
-----
Jon Stahl, Director of Web Solutions
ONE/Northwest - Online Networking for the Environment
http://www.onenw.org