[Evangelism] RE: Plone marketing- WPD2008 Slide Deck

Dylan Jay dylan at dylanjay.com
Tue Oct 21 06:27:03 UTC 2008

Why do you preclude asia pacific in the slide on who uses Plone? Looks bad
for us to show that in our region. NZ gov and AU gov are both using Plone,
and its big in japan. Might be better to say something like - X gov, Y local
gov, Z major non profit, Z top corporations etc... not that that is easy
stats to get.
Or make it more like an example. Or skip that like completely.

Not sure it's appropriate in this slide deck or not but we had some slides
in a recent presentation that we think really nailed our competition.

Slide went like this.

What to look for in open source
-------------------------------

Mature code base

 >= 5 years is good

High bus number

 Will 1-2 organisations leaving sink leave you with abandonware?

-------------

This is directly targeting alfresco and other pseudo open source vendors.
(in au there is also quiz with mysource matrix).

>From talks with Alan and matt about alfresco's nasty support contracts, you
could also add something like

----------

Flexible support contracts.

 - can you choose who and where you get professional support?

------

These are things that set Plone apart and are actually very important yet
often overlooked. Plone scores high with all of these which means you are
safe selecting Plone. Being the low risk option is a great way to sell
something.

Dylan Jay
Technical Solutions Manager, PretaWeb.com
---