[Evangelism] Lessons learned from the first World Plone Day

Jan Ulrich Hasecke juhasecke at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 7 19:11:35 UTC 2008

Hi all,

the World Plone Day was great fun and a fairly good success given
that it was the first WPD ever and that we started very late to
promote it.

So I think we will have a World Plone Day next year.

 From the lessons we've learned we should discuss improvements for
the next years WPD.

Here are my proposals.

1. True international homepage

We need to have a multilingual website called worldploneday.org, so
that each national team can translate announcements and infos into
their national language and refer to it in their national PR.

2. Refining target group

We discovered that a great percentage of our participants were people
who already heard of Plone before or even uses it already. So it is
Plone Community«, but you definitely need some presentations for an
advanced audience, for people who already know Plone and its community.

3. More time to prepare the World Plone Day

The DZUG e.V. (German Zope User Group) is planning its annual
schedule in late december or early january. In 2008 the WPD-idea came
too late for us, so that we could not support our community in an
optimal way. For our annual plan for 2009 it is crucial to know
whether and when apporximately there will be a WPD in 2009.

I would propose to have a WPD not too late in the year, to avoid
conflicts with the Plone Conference, but I am fine with a World Plone
Day in next years november again.

4. Give-aways! I know their were some, but we've got none. :-(

5. More noise in the media and the web especially all these web 2.0
sites.

juh

--
DZUG e.V. (Deutschsprachige Zope User Group)
http://www.zope.de