[Evangelism] Operation Ditch Plone

Karl Horak KEHORAK at sandia.gov
Thu Nov 6 03:17:52 UTC 2008

No apologies necessary, Howard.  As a statistician, I stumbled upon your site looking for online data points, and as a Plone implementer I felt your pain.  When our Python guru left, we wandered around in the wilderness for quite a few months but eventually found a balance.  It can be very lonely trying to keep a Plone instance healthy.

Oddly enough, it was an exploit of a cross-site scripting vulnerability that forced us through a painful and hurried upgrade from 2.1 to 2.5, but once on the other side, things have gone much more smoothly.  Alas, one of our portals didn't survive the migration and failed.  The other 30 or so have done well.  We have funding budgeted for the move to 3.x this year under less pressure.  <whew>  I'm sure our single sys admin breaks out in a cold sweat every time I remind him that when 3.2 is stable, we'll need to migrate our 2.5 production environment.

My initial reaction was to see if there was help out there in the Plone community for your specific problems.  Secondarily was the desire to see the Plone support structure continue to improve itself.

UNM's Earth Data Analysis Center here in Albuquerque drifted away from Plone as they required ever more highly customized Python applications.  By chance, a State Dept.-funded project (wacsi.unm.edu) that had a critical need for English-Arabic dual language capabilities pushed Plone back into the mix.  Even so, a CMS like Plone may not fit the typical use-case for GIS developers.  I'll be interesting to see where this all leads in the GIS-Plone world.

I hope Kim, Chris, and others continue to interact with you and provide useful technical assistance.  Perhaps your Plone site will survive into 3.1 and beyond.  One good thing about all this is that the Plone community is looking inside itself to see how it can better structure its support and organize its documentation for admins such as yourself.  I was very pleased with the timely response that my intial posting raised on the Plone boards.

Best,

Karl