[Evangelism] Howto: video broadcasting of your World Plone Day event

Nate Aune natea at jazkarta.com
Wed Nov 5 20:28:59 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 12:22 AM, Takeshi Yamamoto <tyam at mac.com> wrote:
> - Broadcasting via ustream.tv

I set up a World Plone Day uStream channel at
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/world-plone-day
and it looks like I can add up to 6 "partner shows" that will appear
to the right of the main World Plone Day broadcast. You can see that
I've added the World Plone Day Tokyo as a partner show.

uStream also has the possibility of inviting co-hosts, so we could
have a "master" broadcast that is showing broadcasts of various cities
around the world. These appear in smaller windows within the larger
window.

If you are hosting a WPD in your city, can you please sign up on
uStream.tv (it's free) and make a show called "Your City name - World
Plone Day 2008" (for example, "Boston - World Plone Day 2008").

Then I can add your show as a partner show to the main World Plone Day
show page.

It is very easy to broadcast your World Plone Day event. All you need
is a computer with a webcam (or just use the Mac's built-in iSight
camera). You don't need any special equipment and there's no software
to download. uStream uses Flash in your browser to access your webcam
and microphone.

If you do have a firewire camera, uStream can also use that as the
video/audio source. The quality will be better than the webcam.

If you have a projector and large screen at your WPD location, you can
broadcast video of World Plone Day taking place all around the world,
and we can even talk to each other. I think this would be an amazing
way to show the global reach of Plone and build a sense of community
that spans across timezones, geographical and cultural boundaries.

Nate