[Evangelism] Re: Fwd: Very nice Brand presentation

Francesco Ciriaci francesco at reflab.com
Mon Feb 25 18:28:58 UTC 2008


My comments below

Il giorno 25/feb/08, alle ore 19:01, Christian Scholz ha scritto:

> Francesco Ciriaci wrote:
>> here it is :-P
>> http://www.slideshare.net/coolstuff/the-brand-gap
>> .francesco
>> Inizio messaggio inoltrato:
>>> Da: Francesco Ciriaci <francesco at reflab.com>
>>> Data: 25 febbraio 2008 14:33:36 GMT+01:00
>>> A: evangelism at lists.plone.org
>>> Oggetto: [Evangelism] Very nice Brand presentation
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> you've probably already seen it; it's really worth thinking of our  
>>> brand, especially after the PSPS! :)
>
> Yep, that's a very good presentation. Not only because it tells lots  
> about branding but also because it is a great presentation ;-)

absolutely agree :)
>
> The problem is though that it might not be aimed at open source  
> projects. Here the basis is to have a company in the middle which is  
> to some extent in control of the brand. They can decide "we only do  
> sports cars". In an Open Source model everybody is the company and  
> everybody might do whatever he wants with the product  
> (framework? ;) ).
>

It's very generic, in fact, and may not apply well to Open Source  
Projects driven by an open community like ours. It does not mean,  
though, that we cannot do anything about it.

> Thus Focus might be complicated.

Oh, yes, it is, but it's very complicated for companies too to define  
their focus. My feeling is that even though we do not have a written  
focus or a CEO or whatever a company has we can still have a focus...  
but we need to find a way to "discover" it, refine it and communicate  
it.
To this regard the PSPS was extremely useful in showing that the  
process is "bottom-up".

>
> So the presentation might say in the open source case:
>
> "It's not what YOU say it is, it's what THEY make out of it"

and in Open Source it's easier for someone that likes the brand to  
become part of the thing itself (i.e. getting involved!).

> Thus if there would be a majority who uses Plone as a framework  
> maybe it is one. But I guess the PSPS sort of suggested that it  
> isn't and instead is a very flexible product.

hehe don't anticipate, we didn't answer the question, yet :-P

>
> So the question here might be what Plone actually stands for.
>
> Some ideas might be Professional, Usability or Flexibility which  
> spontaneously come to my mind.

I agree, and I think Plone is already a strong brand imo; Plone has  
some features, in particular related to the user interface / user  
experience that make it somehow special and different from other  
systems. It also has a good reputation of "professional" and we all  
know it's so flexible that we're still struggling to define if it's a  
framework or not :D

Useful concepts that come to my mind when thinking of Plone are: sexy,  
zen, clean (hem...), reliable. I'm curious about others feelings about  
Plone in general.

> BTW, there are tons of great slideshows on slideshare about  
> marketing, branding, new media and so on.
>

I love them. I'm so bad in preparing great slideshows :)

.francesco

> -- Christian
>
>
>

--
Francesco Ciriaci                    francesco at reflab.com
Reflab S.r.l. - Design, Development and Consulting
Phone: +39 3334284675        http://www.reflab.com






More information about the Evangelism mailing list