[Evangelism] SPI vs Plone Foundation

Karl Horak KEHORAK at sandia.gov
Thu Aug 21 22:01:41 UTC 2008

In a recent LinkedIn dialog, I replied to a MR Ray about why I was not a
member of SPI (Software in the Public Interest, Inc.).  I explained that the
Plone Foundation handles the same functionality without the distraction of
numerous disjointed smaller projects vying for attention and funding.

Ray replied, "Playing devil's advocate: Why isn't the Plone Foundation just
a waste of money duplicating overheads (bank fees, corporation filing fees,
...) when Plone could be part of SPI? Is debian (SPI's largest project)
really smaller than Plone?"

I encourage someone from the Foundation who is in LinkedIn (Nate?) to
respond to Ray.

Re:  Is Debian smaller than Plone?  My research shows attendance at a recent
Debian conference to be ~250, which is considerably smaller than Plone
conference attendance.  Does anyone else have any comparison points for the
size of the Debian community when compared with Plone?