[Environmental] RE: A Round of Introductions?

Jon Stahl jon at onenw.org
Sat Jan 6 22:51:15 UTC 2007

Hi y'all!

I'm Jon Stahl, Program Manager at ONE/Northwest (http://www.onenw.org).

ONE/Northwest is a ~15-person NGO that does "engagement strategy" --
basically a blend of communications strategy and technology
implementation -- for environmental nonprofits in the Pacific Northwest
USA and British Columbia, Canada.

We've been doing Plone-powered website development since early 2004.
We've launched a pretty large pile of small-to-medium sites
(http://www.onenw.org/services/websites/client-list).  We've gotten
pretty good at skining Plone, implementing intranets, building custom
content types, and integrating Plone with other tools for effective
online organizing and communciation, such as industrial-strength email
newsletter blasting (via WhatCounts.com), membership database tools
(e.g. Salesforce.com). We've released a few small products into the
Collective, the most notable of which is probably Press Room
(http://plone.org/products/pressroom), which implements a pretty
full-featured press room suitable for, well, pretty much anyone who
works with the media. ;-)  Working in collaboration with our friends at
ifPeople.net, Netcorps.org and NPowerSeattle, we've built
http://www.learnplone.org, a rich (and improving!) documentation
resource for end-users of Plone (like our clients!).

In the past year we've gotten much more involved in the Plone community.
You may have spotted me or my colleagues Andrew Burkhalter and Jon
Baldivieso in various Plone.org online spaces.  We've helped start local
Plone user groups in Seattle, WA and Portland, OR (two of our three
"hometowns" - we also have an office in Vancouver, BC.) We helped
organize Plone Bootcamps by Joel Burton in Seattle and Portland in 2006,
and will likely do at least one more in Seattle in 2007.   We ran Plone
Conference 2006. I blog about Plone (and other things) at
http://blogs.onenw.org/jon and about also at http://theploneblog.org
(which any of you are invited to join!).

We were orginally drawn to Plone not only by its power, flexibility and
amazing ease-of-use of Plone-the-product, but even more by the robust,
stable, mature and just-plain-nice Plone community.  We've not been
disappointed by either. :-)

We're still plotting our Plone-related work for 2007, but things we're
interested in over the next year include:

-- Continuing our work on integrating Plone with Salesforce and
WhatCounts.
-- Collaborating with others in the environmental and nonprofit sectors
to deepen Plone's support for fun stuff like:
   * Syndication and aggregation
   * Flexible and easy content tagging and taxonomies
   * Simple intranets suitable for small NGOs and collaborative
campaigns/networks
   * Simple event registration and signups
   * Online donations
   * Email discussion list integration
   * Blogging
   * Photo galleries
-- Pushing as much configurability and functionality as possible into
the Plone UI so it can be adjusted by site administrators rather than
developers
-- Helping Plone do a better job of marketing itself in the NGO sector
(and beyond)
-- Helping to grow the community of Plone developers and integrators
-- Thinking about putting out a "Plone for Nonprofits" bundle of Plone
plus selected add-on Products suitable for nonprofit use
-- Organzing a sprint or two to focus on some of the above items

Whew!  That's a lot.  I look forward to continuing the conversation with
you all.

best,
Jon

Jon Stahl, Program Manager
ONE/Northwest - Online Networking for the Environment
jon at onenw.org  http://www.onenw.org
206.286.1235x15  skype: jonstahl  y!: jondstahl

Want a piece of my mind? Check out my blog at:
http://blogs.onenw.org/jon