[Environmental] A Round of Introductions?

David Siedband david at generation-xml.com
Tue Dec 12 21:18:24 UTC 2006

I'd like to invite everyone who wants to, to introduce themselves and
their work.  I'm willing to go first to break the ice.

I've been working with environmental groups here in California since
2001.  My business partner, Kevin Wolf, started thinking about these
tools a bit earlier.  In 1994 he participated in a project called
WaterOnLine, which was a think tank created by the State of
California to visualize ways that technology could be applied to
decision support around water issues.  This group envisioned a
science-fiction future where all water-related materials were
catalogued online using standards that allowed interoperability, and
environmental decisions were made transparent through online
archiving of (listserv/forum) discussions referenced against their
supporting materials.

It took a few years for the open source tools to become sufficeintly
advanced to make this a cost-effective possibility.  In 2001 I
started building Watershed Portals, a web library for environmental
content such as projects, documents, data, images, events, people,
organizations, etc.  We developed this initially in Zope+MySQL/
PostgreSQL.  Eventually we realized that a web library is just one
flavor of CMS and that many of the things we were building were
either already built, or much easier to build in Plone.

Today we work with a wide range of groups, primarily NGOs and
government entities. These groups all share the common thread of
needing tools to support their planning and decision making
processes. In the process of supporting these individual efforts, we
have made an effort to build a common set of tools that many of our
projects use.  In Plone-speak, a big part of this toolkit is a set of
Archetypes Content-Types that serve as base classes which are then
sub-classed to create custom software adapted to the needs of our
clients.  As an example, we have a resource base class which we have
sub classes into a k12-Education resource-type and a Pollinator
Research resource-type.  We also have a collection of templates and
macros which we re-use as much as possible when building new sites.
We're also developing standards help our web libraries exchange and
aggregate metadata and content, though Deanne is a better person to
introduce that work.

who wants to go next? :)

cheers
--