[Educational] collaborative OCW project

Joel Marion jo.marion at uwinnipeg.ca
Tue Jun 30 13:34:42 UTC 2009

Hello,

We are a small organization within a relatively smalluniversity, and we are working on building a collaborative research andlearning platform, based on eduCommons OCW on Plone. eduCommons, as youmay know, is a popular Open CourseWare platform in use in manyuniversities around the world.

What we are trying to do isreach out beyond the top-down approach, and beyond the narrow academicsphere to offer a platform for collaboration on learning content. We'vebeen successful in building off of eduCommons, but are facing manyroadblocks when it comes to building the collaborative portion -particularly in establishing secure, user-initiated projects, withsimple invitation/permissioning, TTW and email-based mailing lists(using "Listen"), and a publication workflow that allows content to beaggregated in a site-wide library.

I have three specific questions:
1) are there members of this list who may be interested in contributing to this project,
2) can you suggest good places to find people interested in contributing, and
3) what kinds of products or solutions have you seen in use for this kind of work.

Asa background: We've looked at other systems like Connexions (cnx.org)and Coactivate (previously OpenPlans), but found their systems to be sohighly customized that it is substantially more difficult to build offof than a basic Plone site (or even eduCommons). We've tested out acouple of Plone workgroup products like MXMWorkgroups and TeamSpace,and found them to be lacking in functionality, or conflicting withother aspects of our build.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated, and offers of support even more so!

Cheers,

Joel

Joel Marion
The University of Winnipeg Global College
9th floor, 491 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3B 2E4
Tel: 204.988.7102
Fax: 204.772.4622