[Educational] Joomla vs. Plone: The Mobile UI Showdown

JCarswell jordan.carswell at hccs.edu
Wed Apr 29 04:50:58 UTC 2009

There is some irrational exuberance gathering around replacing Plone with
Joomla at our institution and I'd like some help quelling it.

We have a group that is making the usual arguments for moving to a PHP-based
CMS, and for the most part these are easy to counter. However, I have no
experience in developing mobile interfaces and one of the points for moving
to Joomla is that this particular group already has a mobile ui solution
(how that's totally relevant I haven't quite figured out, but anyway...).

So, I am trying to figure out how to go about designing a mobile front-end
for our Plone 2.5 sites and not finding a lot of information out there so
far. I posted in the UI group a month or so ago and didn't get much back, so
I was wondering if any of you are starting to look at this at your
institutions and whether you have any info that could get me started.

Thanks in advance!