[Educational] Plone Eductional BOF, Mailing List, Future Ideas

Joel Burton joel at joelburton.com
Fri Nov 3 18:18:30 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 31 October 2006 11:50 pm, Jonah Bossewitch wrote:

[also cc'd to a few other Plone-at-University people who weren't at the
Education BOF at the conference.]

Just a reminder to everyone to sign up! I notice most of us haven't, so I'm
sending this thanks-and-reminder directly, but I suspect most of the
conversation will move to the ML.

There's so much universities have in common; you all could help share code,
ideas, etc.

It was good meeting and chatting with people at the BOF about Plone's fit and
uses in the educational sector.

Some of the interesting things I think that came out of it were:

- All the energy of seeing all these universities using Plone and looking for
ways to strengthen the connection with our community. That was _excellent_
and exciting.

- Universities helping grow users groups. Since universities usually have
rooms and access to nearby bars, they have everything a budding young
usergroup needs. Chris Calloway (cbc at unb.edu) helps lead the user group for
the Triangle area with good support from Duke and UNC, for example. And Jonah
is helping spearhead a fledgling Plone UG in New York, NY.

- Universities could also be a space where the community could hold a 1-day
mini-symposium on Plone issues; a good way to introduce the local developer
community, the university, etc. to Plone. Houston, TX, is planning something
like this: Chris Williamson, from enfold (chrisw at enfoldsystems.com) is one of
the coordinators.

Just a (hopefully non-crass) reminder about how I can help: if you haven't
done so, you may wish to subscribe to our low-volume [~3 mails/month!],
announcement-only mailing list at http://plonebootcamps.com/about/announce.
That's the easiest way to find out if there's a Plone bootcamp coming to your
community/state/country/planet.

Thanks, all!

Best,

- j.

Joel Burton - joel at joelburton.com
Zope/Plone & Knowledge Management Consultant
Quality Plone Training: http://plonebootcamps.com
Member, Plone Foundation: http://plone.org/foundation