[Educational] portal(s) for multiple/mixed communities

Graham Perrin G.J.Perrin at bton.ac.uk
Sun Apr 9 12:04:34 UTC 2006

Hi, my first post.

Our Centre (CENTRIM) is veering towards Plone for its intranet and
public web presence.

1) Does anyone here have experience with Plone serving the needs of
multiple communities? In a nutshell:

*  I expect Plone will initially serve the needs of CENTRIM alone,
    intranet + public web

*  a notion, we may progress to have Plone serve the needs of
    Freeman Centre (the building in which CENTRIM is based), again
    intranet + public web.

I suppose my real question here is: how best to structure things with
that possible progression/blend in mind?

a) Is it desirable/possible/proper to have _two_ separate Plone
portals (one for Freeman Centre, one for CENTRIM) somehow inter-
linked so that searches of the former might include results from the
latter?

b) Or should we, from the outset, have just _one_ Plone portal with
Freeman Centre in mind, and CENTRIM as a sibling or subset within
that portal?

The catch: we should probably _not_ overtly express that relationship/
subset. CENTRIM is geographically co-located (at Freeman Centre) with
a research centre on University of Sussex campus, but CENTRIM is
organisationally within University of Brighton.

I should mention that SPRU (with whom we share Freeman Centre)
already have their own intranet, and public presence <http://
www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/> which AFAIK is content-managed by a
University of Sussex-wide system.

2) Can anyone advise, how easy would it be for ht://Dig searches i.e.
from our University home page <http://www.brighton.ac.uk/> to include
results from a Plone portal?

3) Are there any Plone 'horror stories' of which I should be aware?

Judging from recent experience, introducing a web-based shared
calendar system (SchoolTool) to my colleagues, I'm fairly sure that
Plone *will* be our best option. I understand that for the more
complex/interesting stuff, there will be a learning curve and/or a
price to pay, but initial ease of use and administration is most
appealing.

At this stage, I'm not seeking detailed how-to responses via the
list. I'm simply gaining an idea of who I might speak to for pre-
implementation advice.

TIA for any advice.

(Apologies for cross-posting.)

Regards

Graham Perrin, Projects Media Development Officer
CENTRIM - <http://www.brighton.ac.uk/centrim/>
PSTN +44-1273-877922 at CENTRIM
SIP   1-747-605-9854
<http://schooltool.freeman-centre.ac.uk/persons/gjp22/calendar/