[Plone-conference] Why nuke the 2014 site?

Maik Derstappen md-lists at derico.de
Wed Sep 23 09:21:14 UTC 2015

Am 16.09.2015 um 21:54 schrieb Paul Roeland:
> **note**
> this is not in any way related to me being on the board, this is
> strictly speaking as an overworked (and underpaid ;-) sysadmin
> *******
>
> The good thing about a flat mirror is that it's "set it and forget it".
> Keeping possibly 10+ year sites up just for archival purposes has major
> issues like "who is doing security upgrades", and conference sites will
> also have integrations with for instance ticket sellers & payment
> providers that may have gone out of business or changed their API
> dramatically.
>
> So, my plea would be for sensible solutions, but be very aware of the
> ever-changing nature of the Web. Maintaining old sites over a lengthy
> period of time is *not* free in terms of TLC. They quickly become an
> attack vector.
>
> So, my preference (again purely from sysadmin standpoint) is flat-mirror.

+1

a flat-mirror with the schedule, slides and links to the recorded talks
should be enough.
All other ways makes much more work with small benefit.
Even if we cannot just grab the existing stuff to have the static
mirror, it it worth the effort to complete the static site for a useful
conference report.
This could be done, when the conference team rewrite the conference
website anyway to transform it into a conference report with all the
stuff coming out.

So i would recommend to define rules for this for future conferences
(Transform the site into a report and make it available as static website).

cheers Maik