[Plone-conference] Openspace: growing plone | as a brand

Jean Jordaan jean.jordaan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 10:01:17 UTC 2014

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 5:47 PM, Peter Jacobs <Peter.Jacobs at kuleuven.be> wrote:
> It seems to me that during the years people in the community have moved up
> from code hacker to consultant/service provider, which is a very logical
> step, and valuable for Plone. The only thing missing is new generations of
> young code hackers coming in to bring new ideas and challenge the
> status-quo?

Yes, attracting new blood is crucial. I don't think "new" and "challenge" is
as important as stable, productive, documented, empowering ... but there's a
balance, and without new members coming in, the point is moot.

>> I'm not so comfortable with people easily labeling code as "rapidly aging".
>
> Totally agree, let's look at some code then (please correct me if I am
> wrong):

I was overstating for effect, and certainly agree that there are parts of
Zope that need replacement. My feeling is just that emphasizing the "aging" vs
"cool" distinction is counterproductive.

--