[Plone-conference] Openspace: growing plone

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Tue Oct 21 18:00:40 UTC 2014

On 10/21/2014 9:51 AM, Timo Stollenwerk wrote:
> Is anybody from the first roadmap team still around and willing to lead
> the effort?

For the record (cf,
http://lists.plone.org/pipermail/plone-roadmap/Week-of-Mon-20121231/000093.html)
that functioned Nov. 2011 through Dec. 2012, the first board-appointed
roadmap team was:

Martin Aspeli
Geir Bækholt
Mark Corum
David Glick
Matt Hamilton
Calvin Hendryx-Parker
Laurence Rowe
Hanno Schlichting
Jon Stahl

In Dec 2012, a failed reboot was attempted and members polled for
willingness. Geir, Mark, and Laurance opted out. Martin, Matt, Calvin,
and Jon opted in. Massimo Azzolini offered to join. David and Hanno did
not respond. Leaving:

Martin
Calvin
Matt
Massimo
Jon

I think Jon was the driver in the first round. One thing that came out
of the first round is that a next round should be community based rather
than appointed (cf,
http://lists.plone.org/pipermail/plone-roadmap/Week-of-Mon-20121210/000077.html).

Timo, can you name the community members from last year's conference
discussion?

Looking at that last roadmap, it sure was feature driven. Not that it
did not have some exposition on context that served as a stand-in for
"vision." And not that having a feature driven component isn't a good
thing. It simply seemed to derive from a sentence in the Guiding
Principles section of the document which reads, "Incremental improvement
is (sic) better than wholesale revolution." As a result, I could not see
what would be very revolutionary about picking Plone. I  mostly was
going to get just a set of incremental improvement that were either
keeping up with what other CMSes were already doing or papering over
longstanding Plone warts. This led to questioning the value of the
document and the reboot failure (cf.,
http://lists.plone.org/pipermail/plone-roadmap/Week-of-Mon-20121231/000094.html).

I think a statement of where we're going would be invaluable. It should
guide what PLIPs get submitted and approved rather than being the sum of
the PLIPs submitted or approved.

At the same time, I don't want to see a roadmap that makes us captive to
very narrow visions. I don't agree with statements like, "Out of the box
the product is not providing much value in comparison to a rapidly
progressing market," and don't wish to be boxed in by statements of what
Plone isn't, shouldn't be, won't be, or cant be. There's nothing that
comes close to Plone out of the box. It is still the fastest path to a
functioning CMS that isn't already pre-installed by vendors.

(And yeah, the pre-installation ubiuity issue has been flogged to death.
And yet I don't see it as a positive outcome in the old roadmap. Nor
having your Plone reboot with your server for that matter. The community
obviously recognizes the value of pre-installation after some of that
discussion a Vagrant kit is now on the download page. Maybe these are
thing that are valuable to Plone as a product and not so valuable to
contributing consultants.)

I gravitate more toward visionary statements that reinforce what made
Plone great like, "If that could be solved in some way,
programmers/integrators/tinkerers could use this system again for
whatever purpose they like: being it a large enterprise site, a small
high-end experimental webapp, a backend webservice." It wasn't that
Plone was the "only" CMS in the beginning and created a drive for 100%
of market. It was that Plone was the only CMS you could bend to your
will with some ease.

It seemed to go off the rails with a parade of contributing consultants
proscribing either increasingly onerous but politically correct ways of
doing that one tiny little thing that was so effortless in other CMSes,
or things that we weren't going to do to reach that degree of
effortlessness because it wasn't in the contributing consultants'
interest to make the politically correct Plone less obtuse. So I'd like
to see a vision that subverts that tendency and thinks in terms of Plone
as a great product that people want rather than depending on the "trust
and loyalty" of increasingly obscure micro-niches.

The latter as marketing is setting ourselves up for failure. People who
write checks have no trust or loyalty. I saw this over and over again
and it was how Plone had its lunch eaten by lesser CMSes. It was all
what have you done for me lately. As the saying goes, "If you have to
explain it, you've already lost the argument." Plone out of the box
needs no explanation. It just works and works well. All that's left is
the commitment to make it more amazing as a product that sells itself
and then market segments, and even explaining your marketing strategy to
your trusted and loyal customers, matter less and less. Otherwise the
future is similar to being an increasingly smaller community of highly
paid Cobol maintenance consultants. Not what I signed up for.

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway, Applications Analyst
UNC Renaissance Computing Institute
100 Europa Drive, Suite 540, Chapel Hill, NC 27517
(919) 599-3530