[Plone-com] Contribute to Plone.com Content – comparing Plone vs. Others etc.

Armin Stroß-Radschinski developer at acsr.de
Sun Nov 25 16:15:12 UTC 2012

Hi Ed,
Hi Greg,
Hi Dylan,
Hi Ken,
Hi Antonio,
thanks Ed for reporting from the WP event, and distilling it down to
your conclusions cited below.

As you know, we are working on content for the new Plone.com site. I
try to catch you five personally with priority because you showed up
for this (except AM). You can find the current state (prior to
announcement for further discussion, but not ready, ignore obvious
flaws!)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A7tDtEFC2y-vg5r8JzKhSC_4Eb-fOkY7l_K0EgMTjfg/edit
#

My questions leading to Plone vs. Others content
When thinking to simplify the amount of work to get a reasonable
result I figured out it may help to focus on point D. mentioned below:
"A more FAQ like Plone vs. OtherProduct comparison"

There is one important topic, "Plone features and Extensibility"
compared to other systems.
I want a simple to catch visual approach to get the amount of quality
behind Plone there!

This should finally look like something in the direction of this:
http://cms-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

My question now: How can we make you work together on this particular
part, to get a fast result, with easy workflow?

Join the work
-------------------------

We use the "Plone vs. Others Content" list on a new Trello board to
manage this topic:
https://trello.com/board/plone-com-content-tasks/509fcce31f35c25d140196eb
please take your invitations as soon as possible. But first read on
here. Then lets fill the task checklists in Trello together... I am
happy to answer every related question fast!

Give a good feeling with Plone!
==========================

There are so much comparison tools in the web that try to cover every
feature, but they drive you crazy. We need not to provide a full
featured directory on Plone.com. We have the visitor already there! We
need to impress people already looking for Plone and give feedback
that they are right!

It can be reduced to 5 Groups of 5 questions each, where we can look
at existing material and just anwer by setting a checkmark for Plone
and rate the other system against. I would like to ask you personally
to take a task and finalize it within some weeks.

What are your / your tasks?
=======================

I did some thinking if some of you could take one or more of the tasks
partially or in full. If you contribute to make significant progress,
it will be a signal to jump in for others as well.

Dylan
======
can focus the questions for Point D.

Ken
======
can fill in the crosses for SP (and maybe Alfresco)

Greg and Ed
=============
can fill in the crosses for WP and work on figuring out since which
versions Plone or foreign systems supported a feature.

Others to ask
=================

SixFeetUp
---------------------
Drupal can be managed e.g. by someone from SixFeetUp (Clayton? who can
do this Carol?) connected with Dylan.

Other blogging platforms?
We only should focus systems that are misused as a CMS can be easily
added from contributors as well.

Visualization
------------------------------
Try to use existing JS tools like the eea.daviz plugin to visualize
the result and plan to create the matrix in Gdocs in a way that you
just need to plug the result into our content.

Antonio
===========
Do you know someone to step in and contribute for this?

The Comparision full vision is too much
=====================================

Here is an overview over the topic "Comparision" as a whole to keep in
mind what we may need later and should be kept for reuse, but is
mostly too heavy for now!

Splitting the job into more easy and more sophisticated parts, so we
can start fast, get results and refine later.
	A. Collecting almost full feature comparison table (Grouped by
technical categories and tags to enable collections by applying a
vertical market filter)
	B. Features provided by the core of Plone (using columns to mark the
Plone release/version the feature comes up)
	C. Features that can be implemented with well supported AddOns (The
unuseful "not maintained since over one year on Plone.org is contrary
to "old code is good code")
	D. A more FAQ like Plone vs. myProduct comparison: Using questions
asking for common needs of customers during a CMS lifetime
	E. Cross-Linking with an App-Shop like presentation of Plone Add-ons
like here: http://www.getharvest.com/add-ons

Why asking you?
=================

What you are doing for some time as far as I know:

- Dylan Jay is looking for USPs to grab parts of the WP market that
are ready for "leaving the sector".
- Ken Wasetis did awesome work preparing his talk in Arnhem to compare
Plone vs. SP.
- Greg O'Toole started to work on doing a feature comparison table
including WP in Google Docs.

other existing work:

- Matt Hamilton started a feature list in Google Docs.
- /Me Armin Stroß-Radschinski started a feature comparison database
comparing Typo3 to Plone 2 years ago (but I did not invest further
because it is german market centric and there are other points to
mention).