[Plone-com] Naming variations

Dylan Jay djay at pretaweb.com
Fri Sep 7 05:04:57 UTC 2012

Hi,

Perhaps rather than decide now what Plone "is" in 5 words we can work
up to that?

In our recent effort creating a site for our service we had the aim to
describe our service using 5 simple points. These were single line
bullet points at the top which linked to 3-4 lines per point + a
diagram/image per point further down the page. This is very similar to
the brightbox.com front page.
Brightbox distilled their message down to
- High performance and flexible Cloud Servers.
- Instantly mappable Cloud IP addresses.
- Cloud Firewall service.
- Geographically isolated datacentre "Zones".
- Cloud Load Balancers.
- No-fuss import/export of your Cloud Server images and snapshots.
- Powerful API tools.
- Instance metadata service compatible with Amazon EC2

What I like about their list is together it tells a story of what
brightbox is but does so by giving reasonably concrete examples.

To achieve the same thing we took all of the things we thought made
our product good or different from others and then prioritised and
grouped them down to 5 items. In some cases we realised that some
points we logical follow ons from other ideas so weren't needed as a
major point. It was a really hard process.
I don't know if this has been done for the content work for plone.com
yet but I'd say it would be a good way to try to get an agreed set of
"features" or unique selling points.

My personal opinion on what those could be. Well when we at pretaweb
sell plone we try to concentrate on the following points (off the top
of my head) that we think set it apart in the market

- The technology that both cia and fbi use for their primary web
presence. There are more Plone sites in top 100,000 sites most popular
sites than Drupal, WP or Joomla yet it has a fraction of the
vulernability rate. (from w3techs)

- revolutionary control over design. Front end designer friendly. html
mockups can be turned into site designs in hours not days. You have
final say over all html, not the CMS.  No other CMS has a workflow
that allows frontend and backend development to happen in parallel
meaning Plone helps you deliver sites faster.

- Start designing your own site design in minutes with the built in
theme editor. No programming knowledge required.

- Plone can be used in more different ways than any other software in
its class, designed to work as everything from a simple blogging
platform to a corporate intranet and document repository. The 2012
real story content technology map has Plone as the only single
technology vendor being in more than 2 feature catagories. http://www.realstorygroup.com/vendormap/

- True multi-site out of the box. Sandboxed sites with self contained
themes, settings and users with one click site creation. No deployment
to modify your theme.

In terms of ECM vs WCM vs CMS... I think "enterprise" is limiting as
it could mean plone is complicated. I see Plone now days, with diazo,
the theme editor, and soon deco, as being a "start small, grow big"
kind of content solution. It's now the quickest to get started with,
yet the most capable to meet all your content management needs. I just
don't know how you distil those two almost opposite messages into a
single label.
I also realise that a lot of others don't see Plone in this way. One
year ago I would have said Plone should be branded enterprise but now
I think we should be using branding that emphasises how easy it is to
get started and theme, ie the wordpress market.

Sorry for rambling. Hopefully there is stuff in there that's useful.

---
Dylan Jay
Technical Solutions Manager
PretaWeb: Multisite Performance Support
P: +612 80819071 | M: +61421477460 | twitter.com/djay75 | linkedin.com/
in/djay75