[Plone-com] We need a new modern theme for plone.com.

Julian Coyne julian.coyne at unified.com.au
Wed Sep 5 04:52:04 UTC 2012

Hi All,

Wow - that's an explosion of pent-up plone energy... awesome to see!

I haven't reviewed everything as yet, but I thought I'd better get my
thoughts out there (apologies if it is in conflict with any subsequent
discussion to what I've read).

We have a theme called "plonetheme.unified" that cleanly integrates
bootstrap with Plone... in a neat and unified way [TM] :-)

What that translates to is 'not another generic bootstrap theme', but
rather one that respects Plone's visual identity, contains compatible
compiled CSS for legacy plone markup (context/standalone anyone?), and
overrides and a form layer for z3c.form and several other technologies
to bring some unification, simplification and minimalism to the UI story.

We have been working on it and refining it since bootstrap 1.x, through
2.0 (looking at 2.1 presently).

I was planning on throwing this into the ring as part of the new Plone
UI discussions (in fact I wanted to get thoughts on it before or as part
of the Sea Sprint) but didn't know where that would end up as I'm not
able to attend.

It may remove a significant roadblock and help reduce the stalling
that's held up plone.com thus far, and allow us to turn something great
around for the project sooner.

I've also been involved in the plone.com project since working on the
original marketing team and through the recent mailing list, and I share
Matt's frustrations on bringing some focus to the project and making
some actual progress.

I think it would work well for the new plone.com project. It neatly fit
the criteria of a 'new modern theme' and is a neat reference
implementation of bootstrap (which the early emails in this thread that
I've read seemed happy with). Best of all it is available now... which
can hopefully shift the discussion from meta-bikeshedding as we're doing
now... to real proper bikeshedding on the actual plone.com site ;-)

At present - it pointedly *isn't* a diazo theme (as we've been waiting
for the toolbar integration or a clearer direction on clean integration
points to avoid what we've needed to do on other diazo projects).
Rather, it sets out to be a clean reference implementation of a modern
non-diazo plonetheme(.*).

It is also quite opinionated in terms of legacy cruft and happily
destructive in terms of ripping out cruft from the registries (including
KSS for 4.1/4.2), and leaving a neat little Plone JS/CSS footprint.

Lastly, we worked on an API compatible modal overlay replacement to
"prepOverlay" from jqt-land, better defined HTML5 data- semantics (and a
compatible javascript API) and IMO considerably tidier and more
consistent UI/UX. The JS part isn't quite polished but the rest is
functioning quite neatly and we have it in use at the moment.

So its fairly feature complete, and hopefully will be helpful to
progressing things.

Thanks all,

Julian

--