[Plone-com] We need a new modern theme for plone.com.

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Tue Sep 4 23:35:45 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Dylan Jay <djay at pretaweb.com> wrote:

> There's a lot of cooks in here already but since we just put together a
> site for our new service recently I'll put in 2c then go.
> - do content before the theme. The homepage in particular should support
> your main message.
> - we went for a design inspired by brightbox.com and squarespace.com.
> Long front page forming a tour of main key differentiators.
> - but use a professional designer, don't use pre rolled themes.
> - give the new theme editor a go.  Great way to get feedback as the theme
> is created and reduce friction created by deployment delays. Diazo ftw.

+1. I don't mind "many cooks" when it fosters a consistent, forward-moving
environment. (I do mind it when someone changes the direction of the
project unexpectedly e.g. with in-thread prior-consensus ignored, etc.)
When no one is involved, it's easy to reach a consensus. When more than one
person is involved, it gets much harder.

FWIW Dylan's approach sounds the most "modern" to me. Maybe we can get
André to suggest the new theme editor to TV1. (And now that I think about
it, maybe we can suggest everyone work in the collective vs. the plone repo
since it would be much harder to get folks who aren't core contributors
working in the plone repo).

Alex