[Plone-com] Welcome to the Plone.com project
mark at plone.org
Tue Nov 29 11:24:51 UTC 2011
NOTE TO PLONE.COM PROJECT SUBSCRIBERS:
We now have our email list set up and everyone on the original CC for
this note - plus followup requests - has been added to it. I am
posting this note so our publicly available archive will have a record
>From now on, this is where our discussions will be held.
Welcome to the Plone.com project
Creating a multi-lingual marketing gateway for the Plone CMS aimed at
providing interested audiences with easily-navigated access to basic
information about Plone with ways to easily dig deeper if they are
We're still waiting for a proper mailing list with archives, but
rather than holding off any further I'd like to start this
conversation by sending out some information about the Plone.com
structure and goals that came out of two open spaces sessions held
during the recent Plone Conference in San Francisco. This is of
course very preliminary, and is going out to the wider group for your
help in readying it as a blueprint for our site content. I'd like to
express my thanks to the folks who participated in these sessions -
particularly Joel Burton for helping facilitate and Kurt Bendl for
being kind enough to scribe for us.
If you're on this list, you're either expressed interest in being part
of the design and development of Plone.com, or someone has suggested
you as someone who should be involved. If you're not interested, just
send me a note directly and I'll remove you. Likewise, if you know of
someone else who SHOULD be involved who is not on the list, please
have them send me a note directly and I will add them. This will get
much easier once the mailing list we've requested is set up, but for
now we'd like to keep the emails to everyone for administrivia to a
Feel free to reply all to the group with your feedback, ideas or
suggestions regarding the project. Have we missed something? Is there
something in the overview you have questions about or disagree with?
Let us know. You're also welcome to send feedback to me directly, to
be incorporated into the plans as they are developed.
Thanks for your interest in getting involved.
Plone Foundation Marketing & Communications Team Lead
Find out more about Plone at http://plone.org
A multi-lingual marketing and communications gateway for the Plone CMS
aimed at providing interested audiences with easily-navigated access
to basic information about Plone with ways to easily dig deeper if
they are interested.
OUR BASIC SITE PARAMETERS
Roughly 50 Pages of content
Core is What is Plone? and Features list
At least 3 languages to start
95% content - no software / no magic
1 news item per week
Super Cached for outstanding responsiveness
Non-versioned - hosted
1% login - the other 99% are pure users - experience is VERY user-focused
Design very different from plone.org design
Responsive design / highly usable from mobile / tablets
MESSAGES THE SITE NEEDS TO GET ACROSS
Actively getting better
Legitimate and well-supported
Open source done right
Ease of use by Content managers
Replacement for other CMS tools / sites without a CMS
Foundation, protecting IP
Ecosystem of Companies
PLONE.COM BASIC SITE STRUCTURE
What is Plone?
Why should I choose Plone?
Plone Feature Matrix
Community Focus - "We Are Plone"
The Plone Foundation
Plone News - targeted at new users, not the community
Case studies (short, market-focused, high value)
Featured sites (who is using Plone? What can be done with it?)
What is open source? Why it makes sense.
Risk (aimed at CEO / CFO / etc)
More information about the Plone-com