[Setup] Plone 4.0.4 and PostgreSQL

Laurence Rowe l at lrowe.co.uk
Fri Mar 11 15:53:25 UTC 2011

nikolaj wrote:

> I would be happy if someone could direct me to a complete "Plone 4.0.4 and
> PostgreSQL install" guide.
>
> Are there any difference between Standalone and Zeo when installing
> PostgreSQL integration?
>
> Is it difficult to migrate from a Standalone to a Zeo installation when
> using PostgreSQL?
>
> I would like to upload several MS Word documents into Plone and someone
> told me that it possible with WebDAV. But how are documents saved? Is it a
> blob in the PostgreSQL database or a link to the disk somewhere that I
> should include in my backup?

I'm assuming here that you are asking about using Plone 4.0 with RelStorage
to store the Zope Object Database in PostgreSQL, rather than integrating an
existing relational database into your plone site.

Our configuration (for mysql, though it will be very similar for postgres)
looks like:

[instance]
rel-storage =
    blob-dir ${buildout:directory}/var/blobstorage/
    type mysql
    user zope_user
    db zope_db
    passwd zope_passwd

This stores blobs on the filesystem, to store them in the database you need
to add shared-blob-dir false to the rel-storage settings. See
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/RelStorage/1.5.0b2 for details.

When storing blobs on the filesystem you should backup the blob director
after your database is backed up, so that all blobs referenced in the
database exist in your backup (any extra blobs created between the backup of
the database and blob directory will just be ignored.)

RelStorage is an alternative to ZEO, there is no point in using both
together.

Laurence