[Enterprise Plone] collective.solr?

Alan Runyan runyaga at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 16:43:36 UTC 2008

so you are reimplementing enfold.indexing and enfold.solr?
our integration is already proven and almost in production.
may i poignantly ask, "Why are you re-inventing the wheel?"

> collective.solr is the Solr component for collective.indexing.

why not use enfold.indexing?

> and could someone tell me why no one has approached enfold
> to reuse our solr implementation?

i like how this question was side stepped. looks like collaboration is
no longer the point in the plone community?

> collective.solr is more like a reimplementation based on lessons learned,

what lessons learned?  where?

> like Membrane is a reimplementation of CMFMember, or plone.multilingual is a
> reimplementation of LinguaPlone is a reimplementation of I18NLayer.

so collective.solr is a reimplementation of enfold.solr but using the
collective namespace?

> As it lives in collective and has collective namespace, anyone with
> collective access is of course welcome to contribute.

sure and we would have no problems giving people access to our svn.
until we deploy
our software we are very worried about putting stuff into collective.
but as we have
shown we have a history of putting stuff into collective once we feel
its stable.

I, personally, feel like this is some sort of fork of effort (all in
the name of namespace?).

Enfold has eaten a lot of time doing this R&D and we are meaning for
our implementation
to be the canonical solr integration.  Now people will and up having
two implementations - not one.
(We ate the R&D because *enfold* did not charge our customers for
enfold.solr/indexing; we only
charged them for the integration of enfold.solr/indexing into their Plone sites)

Of course having TWO implementations instead of ONE is a waste of
effort and customer dollars
(if your customer is paying for the implementation).  So before this
goes further - how about you
guys tell Enfold -- what the issues you have with existing code base
(that has LOADS of tests
and is sensitive about memory consumption + supports out-of-process indexing).

If this is how we are going to "collaborate" then we can forget about
*EVER* making Plone
a product.  Because we will constantly be re-implementing infrastructure!
Which is great for Plone consultants but awful for customers!  Oh and
also it doesnt make
Plone *any* better because its the same outcome! It adds *nothing* to
the end user experience.

This re-implementation seems either very petty or a huge
miscommunication failure. I really
hope its the latter.

--
Alan Runyan