[Plone-conference] Why nuke the 2014 site?

nguyen at plone.org nguyen at plone.org
Thu Sep 17 00:26:50 UTC 2015

For PSM14 (https://midwest.plonesymp.org <https://midwest.plonesymp.org/>), we used

- ContentWellPortlets
- Diazo theme
- PloneFormGen (for talk proposals and shuttle transportation requests)

The external services we used:

- http://www.constantcontact.com/event-management <http://www.constantcontact.com/event-management> for registration and ticket purchase
- Kaltura (hosted at UW Oshkosh) for recorded videos of talks

For PSM13 (https://midwest.plonesymp.org/2013 <https://midwest.plonesymp.org/2013>) we used

- PloneFormGen (for talk proposals and shuttle transportation requests)
- contentratings (used only for voting on talk proposals; not necessary)
- uwosh.pfg.d2c (used to store talk proposals)

External services:

- an external registration system used by the university
- sched.org <http://sched.org/> to display the schedule on a variety of devices
- Kaltura for video

For posterity, it would be nice to capture the registration form fields, but most critically the videos.

In short, the guidelines for long term preservation of Plone event sites should include the schedule, slides and videos…

(As for the theme, as you can tell, I gave up on trying to preserve the 2013 theme - just kept the info.)

	Kim

On Sep 16, 2015, at 7:02 PM, Jean Jordaan <jean.jordaan at gmail.com <mailto:jean.jordaan at gmail.com>> wrote:

On Sep 17, 2015 2:55 AM, "Paul Roeland" <paul at cleanclothes.org <mailto:paul at cleanclothes.org>> wrote:

> Keeping possibly 10+ year sites up just for archival purposes has major
> issues like "who is doing security upgrades", and conference sites will
> also have integrations with for instance ticket sellers & payment
> providers that may have gone out of business or changed their API
> dramatically.

There's a middle way though, as mentioned by Christian Ledermann: import the content via transmogrify as stock Plone types into Plone.org <http://plone.org/> .. That way there's still only one site to admin.

With good caching, this should be almost as efficient to serve as a static mirror, with the advantage that such content is searchable and navigable in Plone.org <http://plone.org/> with no extra work. It also makes it easy to update content if we need to do so after the fact, e.g. to change links to videos.

This makes a distinction between the conference site design & functionality (booking etc), and the content (schedule, speakers, work documents). The content is what we really want to keep.

Flat site is better than nothing, but Plone content is first prize.

--
Jean