[Plone-conference] Why nuke the 2014 site?

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Wed Sep 16 19:48:31 UTC 2015

On 9/15/2015 4:33 PM, Laurence Rowe wrote:
>Perhaps just making a flat mirror of the content once
> the conference is over and the content no longer needs to be managed.

Just a couple of caveats. We've mirrored conference sites before. Two
things occurred. One, you only get the public content. Things like
internal documents where people worked on things like speaker
selections, budgeting, volunteer scheduling, t-shirt and logo designs,
etc.., were lost. Two, eventually the mirrors were lost. See how many
Plone conference sites you can find.

Concerning Wayback Machine, much as I love it, take a look at:

https://web.archive.org/web/*/plone.org

We used to be able to see the complete history of Plone.org at Wayback
machine (the early days were quite entertaining to see Plone emerging).
But thanks to some robots.txt thuggery, we not only can't see that
anymore, but about six to seven years of history have been lost in the
interim when snapshots weren't being taken.

I think others have covered where Wayback Machine archives are pretty
sketchy at best.

I think a content management community ought to be good at content
management. It would at least give some insight into our tools. How easy
is this conference content to manage throughout its lifecycle? Should be
a snap, no? It would make a good talk at each conference: How We Saved
and Made Available the Conference Content From Last Year: Lessons
Learned and Ease of Use.

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway, Applications Analyst
UNC Renaissance Computing Institute
100 Europa Drive, Suite 540, Chapel Hill, NC 27517
(919) 599-3530