[Plone-conference] Openspace: growing plone

Steve McMahon steve at dcn.org
Sun Oct 19 22:58:32 UTC 2014

I don't mean to be argumentative, but a goal of simply increasing our
install base isn't a very interesting one to me. If I wanted to simply
increase my number of clients, I'd take on $500-a-site jobs competing with
the bottom-feeding WordPress market. And then what I'd want from Plone is
to make it easier to churn easy jobs. I wouldn't really care whether it
could do complex themes, subsites, good security, workflow, or
sophisticated authentication.

Since I'd like to make more than $25 an hour -- which is what a lot of
WordPress developers make around here -- I want to do the difficult stuff.
The kind of sites that the bottom-feeder market isn't very good at. So, I'm
looking at Plone to be well-differentiated from that kind of platform.
Making Plone easier for the end users is great; cleaning up the API is
great; simplifying at the cost of the ability to handle sophisticated
integration, not so great.