[Plone-conference] Open Spaces

Philip Bauer bauer at starzel.de
Fri Oct 10 18:37:41 UTC 2014

Hi All

I want to announce three Open Spaces that will take place at the conference.

Plone 2020 Roadmap
==================
Discussions about the Plone 2020 Roadmap started in October 2013 at the Plone Conference in Brazil. The initial topic was if Zope had a future within Plone but turned out to include the following:
- Should we replace/modernize/own Zope?
- What should we do about CMF?
- When should we move to Python 3?
- What kind of api's do we need in the future?
- Which parts of Zope/CMF/Plone are actually problematic for us in the long term?

Since then there have been many small discussions and a consensus on most of these topics is starting to emerge. At this Open Space we want to conclude the discussion, formulate a realistic plan on how to proceed.
I am also convinced that we need to reconstitute a roadmap-team to communicate the roadmap and facilitate it's implementation as well as to continuously envisioning where we want to go.

Plone TuneUp / Plone Pledge
===========================
I want to discuss an idea how to reboot the Plone Tuneups and at the same time involve Plone Companies more into Plone-Core Development.

1. Plone Pledge / 10% Plone Manifesto
Part one of the Plan is to ask companies to pledge a certain amount of developer-time per month to work on Plone itself instead of on customer-projects. There are some Plone companies that contribute a lot of work to Plone itself but there are many more that do not contribute at all or only very little. One reason might be that as a employee of a company you depend on your boss to tell you to contribute to Plone instead of working client-projects. Sounds familiar? Yes. It is a revival of "The 10% Plone Manifesto" (http://web.archive.org/web/20110816045246/http://www.jarn.com/blog/the-10-plone-manifesto).

2. Plone TuneUp
The "Plone TuneUp" was a fixed day each month during which everyone who wanted to contribute to Plone meet online in irc and hacked away on bugs or features. It was pretty sucessfull but sadly was stopped.

Combining a revived "Plone TuneUp" with the "Plone Plegde" could create great synergies:
- It gives companies a day during which they can fulfill their pledge.
- It will provide a day during which everyone can go online an be sure that experience developers are there that want to help and guide them.
- …

Plone Training
If people are interested there will also be a Open Space to discuss how to further improve tho Plone Training story.

Hope to see you soon in Bristol!
Philip

--
Starzel.de