[Plone-conference] tips for the unprepared?

Christian Ledermann christian.ledermann at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 09:50:53 UTC 2013

I agree with Mikko, that advice is a bit paranoid. (I have not been to
brazil, but speak out of my experiences in african countries.)

High end camera:
Be aware that more and more pickpockets specialize in stealing lenses from SLRs.
They are easy to remove and you would probably not notice it until you
try to take the next picture..

If you can find a light oversized vest or jacket that you can close
over your camera
makes you a 'hard target' for those thieves.

Insect repellent:
Bring some and apply generously, you can buy more locally but come prepared.
In my experience the "Neem Tree" based stuff works best but it does not smell
to nice. You could try to find it in an Eco shop, but anyway the
others work too.

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Mikko Ohtamaa
<mikko at opensourcehacker.com> wrote:
> Hi Guido and others,
>
> The advises are certainly overblown.
>
> I managed to travel around Brazil for three months and, even though I was
> not 100% sober and 100% sure where I was all the time, I got nothing stolen.
> Except all money on my bank account, but this was because I used my credit
> card at ATM where it got skimmed and didn't have balance limits how much you
> can withdraw. Set your credit card daily withdrawal limit to very low (100
> USD / day) just in the case. Always use ATM in a super market, not ones on
> street or in a bank. Only use chip card (not magnet stripe) if possible.Then
> have a cash reserve. Getting your credit card cloned is the most likely
> criminal risk you have. Do *not* use European style debit cards anywhere, as
> it is not possible to recover money from skimmed debit card.
>
> When staying in an accommodation keep your stuff in a locker. If you stay at
> hostel bring your own padlock. Never leave your stuff unattended e.g. on a
> bed when you go to shopping.
>
> Also I didn't manage to kill myself with any tropical diseases, though there
> was one close call and Erico had to save me. Generally, unless you plan
> venture into deep Amazon there is little risk you caught any nasty bugs.
>
> Cheers,
> -Mikko
>

> On 27 September 2013 11:42, Guido Stevens <guido.stevens at cosent.net> wrote:
>>
>> I've been stupid enough to prepare my slides (partially...), but not my
>> journey (at all...).
>>
>> Now I find I was supposed to have gotten a yellow fever vaccination 10
>> days ago. Which raises some questions: what can one do? Wear
>> insect-repellent longsleeves all day and sleep under a bed net even in
>> an airconditioned room? Maybe somebody has some practical wisdom here.
>>
>> On a related note, I'm a hobby photographer and want to bring my
>> high-end camera for architecture photography. Now Lonely Planet advises
>> me to leave my iPod at home (no way). Which kinda implies that I
>> certainly should not bring a big and expensive camera. Is this true or
>> overblown? Can anybody who knows the streets of Brasilia offer some
>> insight into street safety there?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>>     Guido Stevens  |  +31.43.3618933  |  http://cosent.nl
>>
>>     s o c i a l   k n o w l e d g e   t e c h n o l o g y

> Mikko Ohtamaa
> http://opensourcehacker.com
> http://twitter.com/moo9000

Best Regards,

Christian Ledermann

Nairobi - Kenya
Mobile : +254 702978914

<*)))>{

If you save the living environment, the biodiversity that we have left,
you will also automatically save the physical environment, too. But If
you only save the physical environment, you will ultimately lose both.

1) Don’t drive species to extinction

2) Don’t destroy a habitat that species rely on.

3) Don’t change the climate in ways that will result in the above.

}<(((*>