[Plone-conference] tips for the unprepared?

Mikko Ohtamaa mikko at opensourcehacker.com
Fri Sep 27 09:02:27 UTC 2013

Hi Guido and others,

The advises are certainly overblown.

I managed to travel around Brazil for three months and, even though I was
not 100% sober and 100% sure where I was all the time, I got nothing
stolen. Except all money on my bank account, but this was because I used my
credit card at ATM where it got skimmed and didn't have balance limits how
much you can withdraw. Set your credit card daily withdrawal limit to very
low (100 USD / day) just in the case. Always use ATM in a super market, not
ones on street or in a bank. Only use chip card (not magnet stripe) if
possible.Then have a cash reserve. Getting your credit card cloned is the
most likely criminal risk you have. Do *not* use European style debit cards
anywhere, as it is not possible to recover money from skimmed debit card.

When staying in an accommodation keep your stuff in a locker. If you stay
at hostel bring your own padlock. Never leave your stuff unattended e.g. on
a bed when you go to shopping.

Also I didn't manage to kill myself with any tropical diseases, though
there was one close call and Erico had to save me. Generally, unless you
plan venture into deep Amazon there is little risk you caught any nasty
bugs.

Cheers,
-Mikko

On 27 September 2013 11:42, Guido Stevens <guido.stevens at cosent.net> wrote:

> I've been stupid enough to prepare my slides (partially...), but not my
> journey (at all...).
>
> Now I find I was supposed to have gotten a yellow fever vaccination 10
> days ago. Which raises some questions: what can one do? Wear
> insect-repellent longsleeves all day and sleep under a bed net even in
> an airconditioned room? Maybe somebody has some practical wisdom here.
>
> On a related note, I'm a hobby photographer and want to bring my
> high-end camera for architecture photography. Now Lonely Planet advises
> me to leave my iPod at home (no way). Which kinda implies that I
> certainly should not bring a big and expensive camera. Is this true or
> overblown? Can anybody who knows the streets of Brasilia offer some
> insight into street safety there?
>
> Thanks,
> --
>     Guido Stevens  |  +31.43.3618933  |  http://cosent.nl
>
>     s o c i a l   k n o w l e d g e   t e c h n o l o g y

Mikko Ohtamaa
http://opensourcehacker.com
http://twitter.com/moo9000