[Plone-com] Welcome to the Plone.com project

Mark Corum mark at plone.org
Tue Nov 29 11:24:51 UTC 2011

NOTE TO PLONE.COM PROJECT SUBSCRIBERS:

We now have our email list set up and everyone on the original CC for
this note - plus followup requests - has been added to it.  I am
posting this note so our publicly available archive will have a record
of it.

>From now on, this is where our discussions will be held.

Mark

Welcome to the Plone.com project

Our Goal:
Creating a multi-lingual marketing gateway for the Plone CMS aimed at
providing interested audiences with easily-navigated access to basic
information about Plone with ways to easily dig deeper if they are
interested.

We're still waiting for a proper mailing list with archives, but
rather than holding off any further I'd like to start this
conversation by sending out some information about the Plone.com
structure and goals that came out of two open spaces sessions held
during the recent Plone Conference in San Francisco.  This is of
course very preliminary, and is going out to the wider group for your
help in readying it as a blueprint for our site content.  I'd like to
express my thanks to the folks who participated in these sessions -
particularly Joel Burton for helping facilitate and Kurt Bendl for
being kind enough to scribe for us.

If you're on this list, you're either expressed interest in being part
of the design and development of Plone.com, or someone has suggested
you as someone who should be involved.  If you're not interested, just
send me a note directly and I'll remove you.  Likewise, if you know of
someone else who SHOULD be involved who is not on the list, please
have them send me a note directly and I will add them.  This will get
much easier once the mailing list we've requested is set up, but for
now we'd like to keep the emails to everyone for administrivia to a
minimum.

Feel free to reply all to the group with your feedback, ideas or
suggestions regarding the project. Have we missed something?  Is there
something in the overview you have questions about or disagree with?
Let us know.  You're also welcome to send feedback to me directly, to
be incorporated into the plans as they are developed.

Thanks for your interest in getting involved.

Mark

--
Mark Corum
Plone Foundation Marketing & Communications Team Lead

Find out more about Plone at http://plone.org

PLONE.COM OVERVIEW

GOAL
A multi-lingual marketing and communications gateway for the Plone CMS
aimed at providing interested audiences with easily-navigated access
to basic information about Plone with ways to easily dig deeper if
they are interested.

AUDIENCES
Decision Makers
Managers
Recommenders
Press

OUR BASIC SITE PARAMETERS
Roughly 50 Pages of content
Core is What is Plone? and Features list
At least 3 languages to start
95% content - no software / no magic
1 news item per week
i18n nice
Super Cached for outstanding responsiveness
Non-versioned - hosted
1% login - the other 99% are pure users - experience is VERY user-focused
Design very different from plone.org design
Responsive design / highly usable from mobile / tablets

MESSAGES THE SITE NEEDS TO GET ACROSS

Plone is:
       Active
       Pervasive
       Actively getting better
       Legitimate and well-supported
       Open source done right

Focus Points:
       Quality
       Security
       Testing
       Accessibility
       Ease of use by Content managers
       Replacement for other CMS tools / sites without a CMS

Community
       Foundation, protecting IP
       Ecosystem of Companies

PLONE.COM BASIC SITE STRUCTURE

       What is Plone?
       Why should I choose Plone?
       Plone Feature Matrix

       Community Focus - "We Are Plone"
               People
               Companies
               Providers
               Hosting options
               The Plone Foundation

       Plone News - targeted at new users, not the community

       Positioning Plone:
               Case studies (short, market-focused, high value)
               Featured sites (who is using Plone? What can be done with it?)
               What is open source? Why it makes sense.
               Competition
               Risk (aimed at CEO / CFO / etc)

       Links to:
               Documentation